Thursday 13 December 2018

short film inspiration

Wasp

Wasp is a short film directed by Andrea Arnold. To create a sense of realism I decided to use handheld camera as this is typical of social realism films. This decision was inspired by the short film Wasp by Andrea Arnold which follows a lower class family going through normal life. The focus on social issues is similar to the idea of my film even though the actual issues are different. The use of mostly diegetic sound has also influenced my plan for my film however I may still add some music to creation emotional response in the viewer. In the pub scene diegetic music is used as it is playing in the pub. I may take inspiration from this and use diegetic music playing from a TV or radio as it will fit in more with the social realism genre. I may use music that juxtaposes what is happening in the scene as I saw this in films such as transporting when the song "Perfect day"by Lou Reed juxtaposes the overdose scene.

About a girl

I was inspired by the way the narrative in the film About a girl is portrayed through a child so I decided to use this idea in my film and tell the narrative through my little brother who is the main protagonist. I like this idea as it makes the viewer feel connected to the protagonist which is exactly what I want. The innocence of the character juxtaposes the nature of the storyline which will give the uncomfortable affect that I wanted to create. There is a lot of dialogue in this film as the exposition comes from the monologue of the main protagonist and there is a lot of dialogue. In my film I used a limited amount of dialogue as I wanted to present the narrative through the visuals of the film.

Stutterer

My initial idea was to take inspiration from the short film Stutterer and use a voice over throughout the film however I later decided against this as when testing it out I did not like the way it worked with the film. It seemed out of place and took away from the social realism style of the film. I am glad I tried this out but would not use it in my film this time around.

La Jettee

La Jettee was by far my favourite of the short films I watched. I decided to take inspiration from this by including some still images within my short film. La Jettee uses still images throughout the entire film with a voice over to tell the narrative. I didn't use still images throughout the entirety of my film however I will use it in a few short clips as I like the effect it gives and I think it in well with my film. This film also uses a voice over in order to tell the narrative which I thought about doing but decided against it as I didn't like how it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment